One of the most surprising benefits of IMVU is that it can be an amazing support group. I have a group of friends that love and want the best for me more than I think is possible, in very many other situations. They are very capable successful people and have diverse backgrounds, and are very consistently there for me.
We all need someone we can talk to sometimes. It’s just great to be able to vent, or share things with someone that doesn’t have any axe to grind or incentive to sell you something. They have experience in a lot of things, and can help to give you an honest perspective. They proactively watch for issues and want to help more than I probably deserve.
Your mileage may vary, and experience may be different obviously. But I have really truly, the best friends I think I’ve ever had in my life. They are super understanding and all only want the best for me. It takes some time to build that up and let go of your walls and let people in this close, but when you do it is an awesome feeling. It’s something that you don’t get very often in life and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it!
One of the nicest things about IMVU is the ability to talk to someone, really talk to them about anything. Your friends here are detached, and not involved in the issues, don’t have any angle or concern about anything other than you. In some ways I sometimes feel a therapist at times, or just a trusted and experienced friend and vice versa with them. But no matter what being able to share back and forth in a really honest heartfelt way is invaluable. It’s something you just don’t get anywhere in real life very often, if at all. I have friends, in the PTA, from church and cub scouts and some neighbors but you just don’t talk about deep personal things with them like you can in here.
I remember one of my best friends had a co-worker that came into IMVU and she said it was funny because her friend would talk about things much more personal in here than the same friend ever would with her in person. Where else can you have deep talks about relationships one minute and be laughing till you cry with someone the next minute. I also love sharing the fun and emotions, living vicariously through really great friends that I have a full heart connection with. Snuggling and holding a beautiful friend in your arms or slow dancing while you share things you can’t tell anyone else is sure a lot more fun than a therapist, and cheaper too. The only side effect is a lot of tears and a little more laundry.
You get 5000 credits each month. You also save 5 percent on anything you buy. Another benefit they don’t talk about much is the VIP sales. They tend to put some of the better sales on for VIPs. You also don’t have ads and commercials before entering rooms or on webpages.
You also get a room and some furniture which half the time I don’t touch but sometimes is actually really nice. It also lets you whisper, which is very helpful. It’s not a huge status thing but it does show you’re serious. People don’t get VIP for their secondary account or if they aren’t serious. It’s worth having but not necessary, especially if you’re scrapping by.
Every so often (like this morning and for the next week) they put it on sale for $50 for a year which is only $4 a month, but you have to buy a prepaid gift card. There are probably a few other benefits I’m forgetting but I hope that helps understand the basics.
I just started making a list of who IMVU is good for. I thought there would probably only be a handful of people when I started this list but it just kept growing. This is another one of those posts that I think visitors will have a lot of good things to add, because the list seems to keep growing the longer I think about it and talk to people.
- Single mothers with children or anyone with no social life.
- Anyone that feels younger at heart.
- Shy or inexperienced guys looking to learn and gain some confidence
- People with any type of Handicap, that want to feel and interact normally with friends
- Anyone physically restricted whether for legal reasons health reasons or geographical reasons
- Anyone that travels a lot and wants to be able to see their friends where ever they are
- Physically or emotionally abused people who want a place to have fun in a safe way
- Anyone looking to experiment either sexually or in almost any interpersonal direction
- Anyone that wants to change something about themselves
- People with unusual fetishes and tastes
- Perverts, Sex addicts and ??
- Lesbians or anyone interested or experimenting in that area
- People into vampires, demons, furry colorful animals or almost anything you can imagine
- Anyone who just went through a devastating breakup
- Guys who want to be girls (or vice versa) and pathological liars
- Married people who just want more intimacy and to feel sexy in a safe way
- Anyone bored or who can’t sleep at nights or needs an escape
- Anyone interested in clothing or computer design
- People looking to meet someone in another country
- People looking for a relationship with any of the above
- An outlet for designers and artists
- Anyone looking to waste a lot of time. :-)
- IMVU is good for Dreamers!
- ??? What else can you think of…
Almost as important as who it’s for is who it’s not for. It’s not for children except possibly without very close supervision. The faint of heart also have to be careful with it because it can be a little crazy, and no matter why you come here it will effect you in ways you probably aren’t expecting.
IMVU is good for and made up of ALL kinds of people, the most diverse population you’ve ever seen, and it can blow your mind if you’re not careful.
To feel sexy
As an escape
To have a social life
For great sex
Because of friends
To live out (role play) or just experiment with fantasies you can’t do in real life.
To meet someone special that you connect with internally (not me)
To recover from trauma (not me)
For me I just wanted to feel sexy in a safe way that wouldn’t hurt my marriage or family. The first thing that surprised me was the level of intimacy. It’s certainly not what I expected in the beginning.
The next surprisingly powerful thing is kind of related to the intimacy and that’s the friendships. The friendships aren’t based on intimacy but rather seem to develop for the same reasons. Some how it all seems to end up about relationships in a sense.
I have to add that Holly has also done a great job of teaching me the value of experimentation in here to the point that I’m always seeking out new and exciting things in here, of which there certainly seems to be no shortage of.
So I’m not here for just one of the reasons above but a mixture which I think I think is probably true for most people too. Whatever your reason or reasons I hope you stay and enjoy it as much as I do.
If you think I missed something in the list above leave a comment or contact me in imvu.