New to IMVU?

If you knew me back then I would give you a lot of hope!

One of my oldest outfits and my original room. I got angry at IMVU and threw all the furniture out one night, lol

If you’re brand new to IMVU, start by dressing. Experiment with how to change your clothing and how to save outfits. You get a few credits to start with, so buy something. One of the fun things to do here is shopping. Shop for a new imvu outfit or hair style to match how you look or want to look. If you get a few extra credits to start play with a few of the less obvious things like skins or avatars and try to get a smaller head as soon as you can too. Write something for your imvu profileand change your picture.

Go to an empty room to explore and get used to moving around a little. Learn to search rooms and add some to your favorites. Learn how to move your point of view and opening and closing windows. Learn the difference between clothing and items you wear with actions and furniture the owner adds to a room. Learn a couple basic actions, like how to hug and how to use the popup menu.

Once you’re comfortable with the IMVU basics try some rooms with other people. Remember the most important rule of thumb to follow is to try to say and do the things you would in real life. Observe more and try to be a part of the room or group you like best but keep exploring too.

Try to make a couple good friends but don’t friend request everyone to fast. Fav lots of rooms but go for quality over quantity in friends. And like real life, the best way to make a good friend is to be honest and open and be a good friend. Also realize that although there aren’t many rules the people that try hard to do a good job and fit in have a lot more fun.

A current outfit and look :-)

You don't have to be perfect to have a lot of fun. Trust me I've just made more mistakes than most people in here.

Find a room with people dancing to start with, it’s an easy thing to start with. Beaches are also good rooms to start with since they tend to be easy going party type places. Avoid serious role playing rooms till you’re more comfortable and experienced as they require elaborate costumes, talking in character and because they tend to be less forgiving to new people.

There are a few more things you can do As you get comfortable with things. Learn how to use the friends page to send messages and invite. Explore your settings and preferences a little bit.

Avoid buying furniture and many rooms until you are really comfortable with it. If anything, just get a nice fully furnished room to invite people to or learn how to invite someone by name to a public room because there are always a lot of fun empty rooms too.

I spent almost 2 weeks staying in empty rooms afraid to talk to anyone. I was so afraid of everything in here when I started this. If I can get this far almost anyone can. Believe me, this can definitely be amazingly fun and addictive if you give it a chance.

1. yes, all great advice. i’d just say do invest a bit in a nice room to make your default room. unless you take the time really decorate the default apartment, you can usually find something quite nice for the price of a single dress, that says something about who you are and gives people a nice new environment to meet you in.

April 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

2. Yes when you are able to, but this post is geared toward people just starting, the first week or two they’re here. I didn’t make a room for 6 months. I’m slower than a lot but you don’t really need to in the beginning for sure.

April 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm

3. oh i agree, there’s no need. but usually there are some nice pre-furnished rooms for like 700-2000 credits that are just as easy to try on in the shop as a dress or a hair style. a room sets the mood nicely and gives you something to talk about when meeting somebody. i certainly wouldn’t suggest getting an unfurnished room. that can be daunting to furnish something yourself.

i’ve been thinking a lot recently about what makes imvu different from just a chat program. mostly in the context of a friend who has both a male and female avi. but also in terms of whether you are standing or sitting or cuddling or kneeling. all that has a powerful effect on how we interact. there’s interesting psychology experiments on that too. we should talk more about that at some point.

April 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

• I think you said it one time, that it’s the Holodeck. It’s hard for people outside of here to understand how intense and powerful it is. But that’s because they look at it like a chat program. If you look at it as the early version of the Holo Deck from Star Trek, I think it makes more sense. I also watched a show yesterday Doomsday Preppers. It was about people preparing for catastrophe, and they are really serious. MANY of them spend hundreds of thousands of dollars or at least a significant percent of their income.

People can get excessive about anything, but at least it’s hard to spend a lot of money in here in terms of most hobbies. And this is a lot more fun than making firewood logs out of leaves and recycled paper and canning vegetables. Back to your question though, it’s more than a chat program. You can put yourself into the world, especially after you’ve done it for a while.

April 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm

4. Pingback: What makes IMVU more than a chat program? « Kaitlyn's IMVU Tips

5. to imvu my daughters accunt as been haked we cant get in to it the avater name is moon goddeess princress and she lost all her outfit’s and a vip to a lady how look like imvu she say she it imvu staff tham she hakde my daughters accunt plz get it back thx u

October 29, 2015 at 9:10 am

• I’m so sorry. I can’t do anything since I’m NOT imvu staff. I did approve it though just to warn people not to reveal your info and especially your password to ANYONE even IMVU staff, because staff wouldn’t ask you for it.

December 16, 2015 at 5:40 pm